Warning Signs . . .
- Almost one-half missed at least 10 days of school, one-third cut class at least 10 times, and one-quarter were late at least 10 times.
- 8% spent time in a juvenile home or shelter.
- One-third were put on in-school suspension, suspended, or put on probation, and more that 15% were either expelled or told they couldn't return.
- 12% of dropouts ran away from home.
Reasons Why Youth Drop Out
Both school problems and personal factors are reasons for dropping out. Students:
- Didn't like school in general or the school they were attending.
- Were failing, getting poor grades, or couldn't keep up with school work.
- Didn't get along with teachers and/or students.
- Had disciplinary problems, were suspended, or expelled.
- Didn't feel safe in school.
- Got a job, had a family to support, or had trouble managing both school and work.
- Got married, got pregnant, or became a parent.
- Had a drug or alcohol problem.